Coachmen Clipper Express 9.0TD V-PKG

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Re: Coachmen Clipper Express 9.0TD V-PKG

Postby PCO6 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:43 pm

Thanks. I have a lot more changes planned and will probably make a dedicated thread on it. I need to do a bit more though.

I sprayed Rustoleum Leak Seal over the plywood on the underside. I may brush something on later, maybe Rustoleum's product or FlexSeal. I sprayed the frame with the same product I use on my Jeeps to undercoat them - Krown T-40. I haven't had any problems underneath but I'm certainly keeping my eye on it.

The brakes work fine, no dragging, locking, etc. I had an old controller in one Jeep and the RV dealer put one in my other one. I can't recall the brand (I'll check my records) but they said it's the one they use on all of their installations ($85 or so). It worked fine and is easy to adjust as needed.

I smeared dilectric grease on a lot of contact points. I will also be adding a few junction boxes to the system to keep things organized and protected. Generally speaking I'll be covering all wiring, in and out, as I go. Next step is to set up the solar system. I have a 100W panel that will travel on the lid and be lifted off so I can follow the sun when camping. I'm trying to avoid having to replace the lid gas struts to compensate for the extra 25 lb. panel.

Hopefully you can add yours to this thread when you get it! :thumbsup:
PCO6
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mike 1953 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:29 pm

I see there is a battery on the tongue. Was told that is an AGM, any idea what group. I have a AGM group group 27. It's holding a charge at 12.66v. Thought of putting it in the door beside the a/c and connecting it to the tongue battery.
Mike 1953
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:35 pm

The battery that came on the tongue of mine was a basic Group 24 car battery. It now sits in the tongue box of the trailer in my signature below. I put a Group 27 deep non AGM cycle battery in my Clipper. I'm thinking of adding a second one in the box now that the fridge and AC are gone and I have a bit of space to store some of the things that are in the tongue box.
PCO6
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mike 1953 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:54 am

Have you done any winter camping.
Mike 1953
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:06 pm

I haven't winter camped in a LONG time so no as far as my Clipper goes. I hope to get out in April for 2 or 3 days which can be cool and will not likely involve snow … it could though. I've only used the heater once and that was in late September, so not that cold here. We just fired it up to warm the trailer and then it off for the night. It worked great. I want to give it a good test at home this month or next just to see how it goes.

Also, I checked on the brand of brake controller that the RV dealership installed and it is a TEKONSHA. It has worked well.
PCO6
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mike 1953 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:36 am

A number of years ago my girlfriend and I did 2,500km of crown land camping. Check out this site to find Crown land https://freecampsites.net/#!103805&query=sitedetails . The furnace is a bit of over kill. I drive a 2019 Ram 1500. I plan on putting 20lb propane tanks in milk crates and securing them to the plywood floor in the truck bed. This furnace will use a lot of propane. However due the trailer being so small I would probably keep the thermostat to a comfortable 50 degrees F. Body heat alone will help a lot. I usually pan for gold where ever I go. I'm the type of guy who can't just sit around and do nothing. I have a 1200 watt Champion generator. I built a sound box to cut down the decibel level. Going to do a sound check today and will post detailed photos and info a little later.
Mike 1953
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:44 am

Crown Land is a no go for my relatively new to camping wife. The closest I get is to setting up a base camp of sorts in a Provincial Park and heading out to explore on day trips from there. The link you provided is a good resource. I tend to use Back Roads Map Books and similar maps for planning purposes.

Are you in Ontario? Camping from April to October (November?) isn't going to get all that cold. I really don't see that we're going to need the Clipper furnace all that much. My wife might disagree. As shown above, I downsized from a 20 lb. tank to a 5 lb. Cooking for a week hasn't come close to using that up. With the water heater going in, I will be adding a 2nd 5 lb. tank on the tongue (the blue water tank is coming off). I have a 3rd 5 lb. tank that I carry in a plastic pail of sorts when I need it without the trailer. I could carry it with the trailer if needed, but I doubt I will.

The dealer we bought our Clipper at (Globetrotter RV, just north of Orangeville) said they've sold quite a few of them but I've yet to see one anywhere but on their lot. I'll be at the Toronto Camping and RV show next weekend and I'm hoping they will have a V-Pkg. trailer like yours there. I want to steal ideas! lol As you probably know, there isn't very much on line either other that dealer advertisements. As for modified Clippers, well … I'm looking forward to seeing what you and hopefully others come up with! :thumbsup:
PCO6
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mike 1953 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:06 pm

I rented a house in Dunrobin just West of Ottawa. You may recall the tornado that hit a little over a year ago. I was living in Ottawa at the time. Another tornado hit one of the main Hydro stations. I was without power for 6 days. So no food, no gas. Had to get friends from Brockville to bring supplies, 100kms south west. Because of this I decided to go into survivalist mode. Bought a new 2019 Ram 1500. And the new Viking trailer. So I bought the generator and built the sound box. Bought 2 20 litre military grade gas cans which will be mounted in the bed of the truck. Will be buying a 25 watt VHS UHF radio for ham and CB. About 7 years ago we had a minor earthquake. There was no cell communication. Systems were overloaded. With my current set up I can easily go East or West to get out if needed.

Here are the photos of my Champion 1200 watt generator with the sound box I built. 60 cubic inch fresh air intake on the left. I cut a 3" hole on the right side right at the same level as the exhaust with a downward vent cap. Couldn't find my decibel meter but when I do I will do a noise reading. I have 2 110 outlets on the generator. One for the fan and the other for the extension cord. There is a pass through on the left side with a cover for the cord.
161207[/album]161208
Mike 1953
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers