what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby green1 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:22 pm

2014 Tesla Model S P85+

The trailer does make a pretty big dent in the range, but I can still get to a lot of campsites, and if they have hookups, I can charge the car too. Big advantage to towing with an EV though is that all my trailer power comes from the car. Even the power hungry cooler doesn't make a dent in the car's battery running for several days with the car parked. (I never plug the trailer in to AC at a campground, only the car!)
Image
User avatar
green1
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 14
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:36 am
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby rjgimp » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:30 pm

jkemp512 wrote:
pontdog wrote:
gudmund wrote:pontdog - I see the word "Bonneville", yet you are from Canada - so is it a US built Pontiac? 389 or 421? (Yes, I used to 'breath' Pontiac when at a younger age(50yrs ago) - 62 Catalina -2 '65 GTO's and owned my 70 455 GTO twice - all of my 'RA-IV' parts ended up in Canada 'somewhere' when sold) .........................

yes you are correct bonneville is the american car and parisenne was the canadian this car was from California originally.i love pontiac my last one was a kustom.but this one has a 389 and should have no trouble pulling my trailer


Pontiac V8's (maybe excluding the low deck 265 && 301) always have a lot of low end torque and should be a great engine for towing a trailer. Chances are strong you possibly don't even feel the tear drop being pulled behind you.


When I was in high school in the mid 80s we had a 73 Catalina with the 350 - and those fancy new-fangled front disc brakes! Although there was plenty of power and I would have loved to try towing something with that car the gas tank inlet was in the middle of the rear bumper behind a hinged license plate. I can't imagine installing a hitch. The thing rode quite low and we bottomed out fairly often pulling out of parking lots. Back in those days the normal configuration was a heavy solid steel bumper bolted directly to the frame and there were universal bolt-on trailer hitches widely available. (I still have one!) There was no way we could have bolted one on with the gas inlet there. As it was, putting gas in the thing was nearly impossible if parked on even the slightest incline.
-Rob


I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
User avatar
rjgimp
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 284
Images: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:59 am
Location: Saint Paul MN

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby gudmund » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:44 pm

yes - most of all of the cars had the middle gas fuel-up behind the license plate back than (except S/W's) until the gov started making the car company's change their fuel tank mounting locations for safety reasons. (did make for easier filling not having to remember what side to pull up to the pump on.) My dad also had the 73 Catalina w the 400 V8. Son like father = both Pontiac fans but mine was faster being I had the 455 GTO. And Yes, today that GTO would make a great tow vehicle for towing my teardrop - oh the memories............. :thumbsup:
gudmund
500 Club
 
Posts: 740
Images: 22
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:58 pm
Location: Camano Island, WN
Top

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby jkemp512 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:22 pm

GM forced those sizes (i.e. 350 CID ) on the other GM divisions to match Chevrolet.

If you do the math, you will see that the Pontiac V8 326 is actually a 336 CID engine, and the Pontiac 350 is actually a 355.
2014 Camp-Inn 550 tear drop
1970 IH Scout 800A tow vehicle
jkemp512
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:06 am
Top

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby rjgimp » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:03 pm

felixx wrote:I love how we are trying to see whos is smallest

I had 34BHP in 1967



I'm out of the running for that. Our current TV is a 2004 Hummer H2. 8) :thumbsup: :lol:
-Rob


I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
User avatar
rjgimp
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 284
Images: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:59 am
Location: Saint Paul MN
Top

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby Aguyfromohio » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:15 am

rjgimp wrote:When I was in high school in the mid 80s we had a 73 Catalina with the 350 - and those fancy new-fangled front disc brakes! Although there was plenty of power and I would have loved to try towing something with that car the gas tank inlet was in the middle of the rear bumper behind a hinged license plate. I can't imagine installing a hitch. The thing rode quite low and we bottomed out fairly often pulling out of parking lots. Back in those days the normal configuration was a heavy solid steel bumper bolted directly to the frame and there were universal bolt-on trailer hitches widely available. (I still have one!) There was no way we could have bolted one on with the gas inlet there. As it was, putting gas in the thing was nearly impossible if parked on even the slightest incline.


My dad had trailers in the 1960s and 70's, and pulled most of them with big Oldsmobile sedans with 455 rocket V8's
We often traveled with my uncle using his giant Chrysler sedan to tow his trailer.

Those big V8 sedans pulled those 4,000 lb travel trailers up the rockies into Yellowstone and all over the upper midwest.
High horsepower and big low end torque, there's nothing better..
User avatar
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 391
Images: 76
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:02 am
Top

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby jkemp512 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:30 am

Aguyfromohio wrote:
rjgimp wrote:
Those big V8 sedans pulled those 4,000 lb travel trailers up the rockies into Yellowstone and all over the upper midwest.
High horsepower and big low end torque, there's nothing better..


I think you really nailed it right there, and specifically what we've lost from those cars and that era.

not only high horsepower, but available down at the bottom end were you can use it. Its awesome for modern vehicles to have awesome HP figures that appear to embarass late 1960's/early 1970's muscle cars. Its another thing for that power to only show up at 5500 - 6000 RPM, and only be available when you're ringing the vehicle out.
2014 Camp-Inn 550 tear drop
1970 IH Scout 800A tow vehicle
jkemp512
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:06 am
Top

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby friz » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:55 am

Ordering up a hitch for this one.Image

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
150133
User avatar
friz
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 482
Images: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:01 pm
Top

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby Aguyfromohio » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:28 am

You definitely need to post a photo of that rig hitched up when you get to that point.
Last edited by Aguyfromohio on Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 391
Images: 76
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:02 am
Top

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby Aguyfromohio » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:37 am

jkemp512 wrote:I think you really nailed it right there, and specifically what we've lost from those cars and that era.

not only high horsepower, but available down at the bottom end were you can use it. Its awesome for modern vehicles to have awesome HP figures that appear to embarass late 1960's/early 1970's muscle cars. Its another thing for that power to only show up at 5500 - 6000 RPM, and only be available when you're ringing the vehicle out.



It’s only fair to mention that modern EVs are exactly like the old V8s in that way.
EVS give you full max torque at low speed even more so than a vintage big block V8
User avatar
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 391
Images: 76
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:02 am
Top

Previous

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests