2005 Hyundai Santa Fe - Brake Controller and Towing Advice?

All about towing and tow vehicles

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe - Brake Controller and Towing Advice?

Postby MrBo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:40 pm

Hello All,

The reason I ended up on this site from the beginning was trying to come up with, like many... something light enough to tow. Started with deciding to build a teardrop… to ending up with a with buying a custom 6x14 Cargo Trailer for light Conversion, Empty Weight 1600lbs.

Here are my ratings
2005 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2.7
MPG: Up to 19 city / 25 highway
Fuel tank capacity: 19 gal
Tire size: P225/70R16
Curb weight: 3,549 to 3,946 lbs
Towing capacity: 2,700 to 3,300 lbs

Manual say anything over 1600 must have brakes. And believe me, I want it to have brakes, I live in Colorado!

Called a Uhaul company in town to see if they install brake controllers and the guy at at first said it should not tow anything that need brakes. I can understand because of the transmission getting hot. Told him it had a tow package and the tow ratings then he said "well you might have to sign a disclaimer" and he would call me back after he researched it with a quote. (No Problem. ) He did call back and said they could do it and it would be around $250.00 with the controller and labor.

I have watched a few videos on installing a brake controller and it is really not that hard. The hard part for me will be getting under the SUV to run wire from back to front for 7 pin.

So here is the kicker. The plan is to pick up the custom trailer from the factory in Georgia, 6x14 vnose empty at 1600lbs and it will stay empty when I drive it back to Colorado.

I did pull a 5x8 Uhaul loaded from AZ to CO with no problems ( was amazed at how well it pulled) and we have a pop up we pull. Also have pulled a boat with no problems.


----> Also an added question that I could not find answer on. Was told I need a 72" extended tongue if I want to fit a propane tank on the front. Does this have any effect on the TV?


I have not pulled the trigger on the order yet, it will take about 3-4 weeks for completion, but getting close to placing it. The only thing that will slow me down will be the weather. They have a nice lead way amount of time for pick up. I am flexible.

Very nervous and hope I don’t kill the Santa fe and get stuck in the water. Great SUV not ready for new pull vehicle yet.

Am I crazy! :? Sing me a lullaby, clam me down and make it all better. :NC

Many thanks to anyone that chimes in... good or bad. :beer: :thumbsup:
Last edited by MrBo on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr Bo

6x14 Build Log - Rolling Thunder - Cabin on Wheels - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69971
User avatar
MrBo
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 138
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:40 am
Location: Boulder / Longmont Colorado

Re: 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe - Brake Controller Advice?

Postby pchast » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:52 pm

Did you ask th e factory or dealer about installing a controller?
Would they if you provided one? Didn't the 'Trailer Package'
include the wiring and the connector?
:thinking:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member
 
Posts: 1598
Images: 96
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: Athens, NY

Re: 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe - Brake Controller Advice?

Postby MrBo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:50 am

pchast wrote:Did you ask th e factory or dealer about installing a controller?
Would they if you provided one? Didn't the 'Trailer Package'
include the wiring and the connector?
:thinking:



Hi Pete,

No, I did not ask the factor if they could install the controller. Did not think that was something that they did. Was planning on doing it here before I leave.

The towing package has wire for 4 pin, but I could not find anything for brake controller.
Mr Bo

6x14 Build Log - Rolling Thunder - Cabin on Wheels - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69971
User avatar
MrBo
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 138
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:40 am
Location: Boulder / Longmont Colorado
Top

Re: 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe - Brake Controller Advice?

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:04 am

I have no advice on a brake controller, but your Uhaul experience reminds me of one I had a few years ago.

I had a Subaru Outback 3.0R (sedan) rated at 3,000# towing. It was a beast of a car. Went to a Uhaul place to rent a 5x8 enclosed trailer. The prick refused to rent it to me because in his opinion my car couldn't handle it. He wouldnt even look up the specs on my car because he was an "expert". I really NEEDED the trailer because I was going to college. I got pissed and went home. Logged into Uhaul online, filled out their forms and questions about what car you have with what motor, and with no surprise to me, it said I was good to go and I could arrange to pick up the trailer at a few different locations within 30 miles of my house. Sure enough, the place I had dropped in to was on the list. I showed up, parked the car and went inside and told the guy I was here to pick up my online reservation. He asked if I had borrowed a vehicle from a friend. I smugly replied, "nope" and pointed to the Outback. Boy did his face get red, and he still refused to rent the trailer to me. And boy did I get even more pissed. I called some corporate Uhaul number and they straightened the asshole right out. He begrudgingly had me sign the paperwork and pointed me to the trailer. He wouldnt even come outside to help me hook up, like they're supposed to do. I think he thought that I had no idea what I was doing, so I got it hitched and gave him the thumbs up and a giant smile as I pulled out of the parking lot.

Long story short... MOST of the people who work at your local Uhaul think they're experts, when they aren't.

I will be installing a brake controller on my Crosstrek, but haven't got around to it yet. I plan on ordering one from eTrailer.com and installing it myself. Frankly, I just don't trust my local Uhaul dealer to do it right.

Good luck to you! :thumbsup:
Zach

ImageImage
User avatar
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member
 
Posts: 2656
Images: 411
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Hanover, PA
Top

Re: 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe - Brake Controller Advice?

Postby MrBo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:13 am

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:I have no advice on a brake controller, but your Uhaul experience reminds me of one I had a few years ago.

I had a Subaru Outback 3.0R (sedan) rated at 3,000# towing. It was a beast of a car. Went to a Uhaul place to rent a 5x8 enclosed trailer. The prick refused to rent it to me because in his opinion my car couldn't handle it. He wouldnt even look up the specs on my car because he was an "expert". I really NEEDED the trailer because I was going to college. I got pissed and went home. Logged into Uhaul online, filled out their forms and questions about what car you have with what motor, and with no surprise to me, it said I was good to go and I could arrange to pick up the trailer at a few different locations within 30 miles of my house. Sure enough, the place I had dropped in to was on the list. I showed up, parked the car and went inside and told the guy I was here to pick up my online reservation. He asked if I had borrowed a vehicle from a friend. I smugly replied, "nope" and pointed to the Outback. Boy did his face get red, and he still refused to rent the trailer to me. And boy did I get even more pissed. I called some corporate Uhaul number and they straightened the asshole right out. He begrudgingly had me sign the paperwork and pointed me to the trailer. He wouldnt even come outside to help me hook up, like they're supposed to do. I think he thought that I had no idea what I was doing, so I got it hitched and gave him the thumbs up and a giant smile as I pulled out of the parking lot.

Long story short... MOST of the people who work at your local Uhaul think they're experts, when they aren't.

I will be installing a brake controller on my Crosstrek, but haven't got around to it yet. I plan on ordering one from eTrailer.com and installing it myself. Frankly, I just don't trust my local Uhaul dealer to do it right.

Good luck to you! :thumbsup:


Thanks! that pretty funny. When I rented the Uhaul last year they hooked it up and took it off I did not have to do a thing, guy sounds like a real jerk. With this guy he was telling me how they have to do the Brake controller by splicing wires and such. The video I watch on a new model there was not splicing so makes me wonder. I think I can do it, I just got to figure out a safe way to get under to pull the wires from back to front.

Thanks for chiming in. Glad things worked out for you. :thumbsup:
Mr Bo

6x14 Build Log - Rolling Thunder - Cabin on Wheels - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69971
User avatar
MrBo
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 138
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:40 am
Location: Boulder / Longmont Colorado
Top

Re: 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe - Brake Controller and Towing Advi

Postby Dale M. » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:25 am

MrBo wrote:Hello All,

The reason I ended up on this site from the beginning was trying to come up with, like many... something light enough to tow. Started with deciding to build a teardrop… to ending up with a with buying a custom 6x14 Cargo Trailer for light Conversion, Empty Weight 1600lbs.

Here are my ratings
2005 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2.7
MPG: Up to 19 city / 25 highway
Fuel tank capacity: 19 gal
Tire size: P225/70R16
Curb weight: 3,549 to 3,946 lbs
Towing capacity: 2,700 to 3,300 lbs

Manual say anything over 1600 must have brakes. And believe me, I want it to have brakes, I live in Colorado!

Called a Uhaul company in town to see if they install brake controllers and the guy at at first said it should not tow anything that need brakes. I can understand because of the transmission getting hot. Told him it had a tow package and the tow ratings then he said "well you might have to sign a disclaimer" and he would call me back after he researched it with a quote. (No Problem. ) He did call back and said they could do it and it would be around $250.00 with the controller and labor.

I have watched a few videos on installing a brake controller and it is really not that hard. The hard part for me will be getting under the SUV to run wire from back to front for 7 pin.

So here is the kicker. The plan is to pick up the custom trailer from the factory in Georgia, 6x14 vnose empty at 1600lbs and it will stay empty when I drive it back to Colorado.

I did pull a 5x8 Uhaul loaded from AZ to CO with no problems ( was amazed at how well it pulled) and we have a pop up we pull. Also have pulled a boat with no problems.

I have not pulled the trigger on the order yet, it will take about 3-4 weeks for completion, but getting close to placing it. The only thing that will slow me down will be the weather. They have a nice lead way amount of time for pick up. I am flexible.

Very nervous and hope I don’t kill the Santa fe and get stuck in the water. Great SUV not ready for new pull vehicle yet.

Am I crazy! :? Sing me a lullaby, clam me down and make it all better. :NC

Many thanks to anyone that chimes in... good or bad. :beer: :thumbsup:


Run it through passenger compartment under carpet.... Keep it up next to any side rail (under sill plate?) where it will not get crushed by feet....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Image
User avatar
Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club
 
Posts: 2693
Images: 18
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:50 pm
Location: Just a tiny bit west of Yosemite National Park
Top

Re: 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe - Brake Controller and Towing Advi

Postby MrBo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:38 am

Dale M. wrote:

Run it through passenger compartment under carpet.... Keep it up next to any side rail (under sill plate?) where it will not get crushed by feet....

Dale


Thanks Dale, sounds like a great option! I am starting to feel better about the towing. never towed anything so tall but I am told the vNose helps a lot.

:applause:
Mr Bo

6x14 Build Log - Rolling Thunder - Cabin on Wheels - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69971
User avatar
MrBo
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 138
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:40 am
Location: Boulder / Longmont Colorado
Top

Re: 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe - Brake Controller and Towing Advi

Postby MrBo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:54 am

Did not know where to post this questions so I amended it to the top and will put it here as well.

(6x14 cargo) Was told I need an Extended Triple Tube Tongue 72" if I want to fit a propane tank on the front. Does this have any effect on the TV?

Do not want to get there and find out it is a problem. :cry:

Thanks for any insight. :)
Mr Bo

6x14 Build Log - Rolling Thunder - Cabin on Wheels - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69971
User avatar
MrBo
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 138
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:40 am
Location: Boulder / Longmont Colorado
Top

Re: 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe - Brake Controller and Towing Advi

Postby Dan242 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:11 pm

It adds to tongue weight, something to look at, other than that I think it will make it more stable, but thats just my opinion ;)
User avatar
Dan242
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 123
Images: 25
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:47 pm
Top

Re: 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe - Brake Controller and Towing Advi

Postby MrBo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:22 pm

Dan242 wrote:It adds to tongue weight, something to look at, other than that I think it will make it more stable, but thats just my opinion ;)


Many thanks Dan.
Mr Bo

6x14 Build Log - Rolling Thunder - Cabin on Wheels - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69971
User avatar
MrBo
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 138
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:40 am
Location: Boulder / Longmont Colorado
Top

Re: 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe - Brake Controller and Towing Advi

Postby Esteban » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:08 pm

:thinking: Consider hiring a local car stereo business to install a brake controller, 4-way and/or 7-way wiring, and a vehicle side connector for you. Most likely they'll do a superior installation job for you than U-Haul would.

I bought a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller and other installation parts from etrailer.com/dept-pg-Brake_Controller.aspx.

:thumbsup: Then I had a local car stereo shop install the P3 brake controller, 7-way wiring from the Forester's battery and dash area to the trailer hitch and the trailer connector. The stereo shop's installer had the knowledge, skill, tools and extra parts needed on hand (wire, wire connectors, shrink wrap, wire sheathing, fuses, etc.) to run the wiring inside my Subaru Forester concealed underneath the interior trim pieces; instead of running the wires underneath the vehicle where they'd be more exposed to weather and potential damage.
Last edited by Esteban on Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1684
Images: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:39 pm
Location: California, San Luis Obispo
Top

Re: 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe - Brake Controller and Towing Advi

Postby MrBo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:18 pm

Esteban wrote::thinking: Consider hiring a local car stereo business to install a brake controller.

I bought a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller and other installation parts from etrailer.com/dept-pg-Brake_Controller.aspx.

:thumbsup: Then I had a local car stereo shop install 7-way wiring from the Forester's battery and dash area to the trailer hitch. The stereo shop's installer had the knowledge, skill and tools to run the wiring inside my Subaru Forester underneatn interior trim pieces; instead of running the wires underneath the vehicle where they'd be more exposed to weather and potential damage.



Great ideas! Thank you!

BTW you live in one of my most favorite places in the country. Love SLO!

Regards!

:D
Mr Bo

6x14 Build Log - Rolling Thunder - Cabin on Wheels - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69971
User avatar
MrBo
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 138
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:40 am
Location: Boulder / Longmont Colorado
Top

Re: 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe - Brake Controller and Towing Advi

Postby MrBo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:27 pm

Update: Brake Controller install went great. Watched some eTrailer videos about 20 times. etrailer was amazing! Shipping was free and came in two days. New hitch ball and install kit. Even came with a tester. Jacked up the SUV put a jack stand under and ran the wires under just like the videos. It looked like there was a wire harness connector under the dash for this but I could not find a wiring adapter for Hyundai. The Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ Electronic Brake Control indicators show it was installed right but won't really know until the trailer gets hooked up. Will have to find a parking lot to drive around to get used to it.
:R

Here are the videos in case it may help someone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEldFOwrzU0&index=64&list=PLN-HZThCGE-pWi_4XTG1FWmTDTXsnHu2x&t=61s

https://youtu.be/ZeHQ1fnI_dU

Little nervous about the Towing back 1600 miles, and hoping the extended tongue length does not cause a problem making the trailer too long. Asked on the added weight and they say it was tens of pounds. All signs show it should be fine.

Trailer is ordered, 6x14 with 72" extended tongue and 4 windows. So in about three weeks, off I go on a road trip. Wish me luck. Will be watching the weather closely! 8)

Thanks for all the advice.

:thumbsup:
Last edited by MrBo on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Bo

6x14 Build Log - Rolling Thunder - Cabin on Wheels - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69971
User avatar
MrBo
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 138
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:40 am
Location: Boulder / Longmont Colorado
Top

Re: 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe - Brake Controller and Towing Advi

Postby MrBo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:26 pm

Hello All,

The trailer to my surprise was done in a week so I am leaving on Friday from CO to GA to pick up the trailer. Very excited and nervous at the same time about the trip and hope the weather holds for me. Will take it low and slow on the way back.

So if you see a white Hyundai Santa Fe with Striking Photography on the back... wave as you go by :cry:

My 7 pin install is screwed into where the 4 pin was. But one of my worries is, it is below the hitch. 9" from the ground. Hitch is 11" from the ground. If I bottom out it will be the first thing to go. ( not that I am planning on it)

There was a 2 inch drop 2" ball on there and I had to get a larger 2 5/16" and I went with no drop. Does this matter?

I almost installed the 7 pin on the right side but was not sure if that would work. I always see them on the left.

Not sure if I should risk it or try and figure out a way to raise it up. If I could find some sort of spacer I may be able to get it 2" higher with longer screws. Below is a pic. I put new rear shock on as one looked like it was leaking and did not want to chance it. When I stand on the hitch it does not go down much and I weigh about 200 lbs.

Also wondering if anyone know a good highway that runs parallel to I -70. ON our last trip to AZ we took 160 that goes over Wolf creek and it runs parallel to I-40 and it was dynamite. Highly recommend it. I hate 1-40 because of all the truckers. Hoping an empty trailer will not bounce around or get blow off the road when a trucker passes me. :shock:


Below is a pic. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Attachments
0122181415.jpg
0122181415.jpg (136.88 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
Mr Bo

6x14 Build Log - Rolling Thunder - Cabin on Wheels - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69971
User avatar
MrBo
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 138
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:40 am
Location: Boulder / Longmont Colorado
Top

Re: 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe - Brake Controller and Towing Advi

Postby pchast » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:16 pm

I would not leave the connector there. Can it be mounted above the bumper/hitch somehow?
pchast
Platinum Donating Member
 
Posts: 1598
Images: 96
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: Athens, NY
Top

Next

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest